Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Pasta Rosaries

As a child, I was obsessed with arts and crafts. I would check books out of the library on calligraphy and clay jewelery and how to make my own paper, and I've taught myself to knit and quilt and obviously, to cook. It's not surprising that I was also a zealous girl scout and I earned a full vest of patches. Now, as a grown-up craft lover, I've applied that same enthusiasm-- now we have a word for it, DIY-- to my lesson plans. As a catechist, I believe there must be a healthy balance between teaching theology in a relevant, creative way and organizing activities the kids enjoy, like crafts and games, that keep them interested on a level that engages their playfulness. So since it's May and we're trying to emphasize Mary, last week in my fifth grade classroom, we made rosaries out of pasta. I couldn't resist sharing a picture since this is the ultimate food-meets-theology craft.